When it comes to the “special parties” in life, weddings and baby showers are at the ‘top’ of the list!
This article will reveal all the many creative ways to use poems at baby showers.
If you are having or throwing a baby shower, consider using poems! Read the reasons I list below to see “why.”
Our focus will be on these areas:
- Why use poems at a baby shower?
- Who comes up with the poems?
- Do you have to be a poet?
- Sources of “Poemspiration”
- Poems on the invitations
- At the party, who reads the poems?
- How do I implement the poems at the baby shower?
- Thank you poems
- Cake Poems
- Poems for activities
- Poems for favors
- Poems for the departure of the guests
- Poems for the future mother.
1.) WHY USE POEMS IN THE BABY SHOWS?
Why the heck not ?! The poems will totally personalize your baby shower! The poems will help inject into the atmosphere of your baby shower what you are trying to convey: sentimentality, fun, or theme. What a great addition to add to any Baby Shower!
2.) WHO ARE THE POEMS UPLOADED TO?
Ah! Well that depends on what the poem is used for. The expectant mother and work together with her shower host and create some goodies for the shower parts that she is involved in. If it’s a surprise baby shower, then they would be the Hosts. The future mother can definitely make up the thank you poems. The expectant mother can also write poems to her host after the fact and to her mother. Make them sentimental and show your sincerest thanks! The host (s) can make up the poems to use on the cake (we’ll discuss later), for activities (before and after or for winners and losers or top finalists), for party favors, and for thanking the party guests who went out of their way to attend the baby shower.
3.) DO YOU HAVE TO BE A POET?
No way !! Be creative, fun and original! Express yourself! These poems can be long or short. Funny or serious. IT’S UP TO YOU. Perhaps express the theme of the baby shower (funny, silly, sentimental, etc.). Be yourself and your true light will shine through the poems making them even more special for the guests. Perhaps the host can put together a small group to do the poems. After all, the host has a lot to do!
4.) SOURCES OF “POEMSPIRATION”
Like that word, “poemspiration?” Thanks! I just invented! There are many sources to find your inspiration! There is inspiration online (absolutely fantastic! I highly recommend it!). Go online with your computer and search Google Search or Yahoo Search and search for “baby shower poem samples” or “baby shower poem ideas” or “baby poem ideas” (you get the idea! ). There are so many baby shower sites and I’m sure you can get tons of “poemspiration”.
Another thing you may want to check is e-cards. There are so many e-card sites!
Again, go to Google Search (or whatever you want!) And type in “free e-cards.” Make sure to use the cards for inspiration … make sure to customize them to fit who they are (thank you, game wins / losses etc remember: use them for inspiration!)
Also, you might want to check out Hallmark or anywhere they sell cards … take a look at them for inspiration! There is also the library! Look at the area for Baby Shower poems or books or thank you invitations or idea books. Ask the librarian for ideas on where to research.
5.) POEMS ON THE INVITATION
This is sweet! Why not include a general poem in the invitation? It can even be the invitation itself, perhaps? Maybe you use a beautiful font, or some wonderful ink (silver? Gold?), Or decorative paper or vellum? So many ideas! (Check out “card ideas” on the internet!) If it’s not the invitation itself, it can be a wonderful “bonus” to the invitation (and also a prelude to what’s going to be sprinkled at the Baby Shower: Poems!). A sample invitation in verse from a poem might be:
“Just a little party
With a little whim
In honor of someone special
We would like you to meet!
A baby shower is held for xxxxxx
and his mommy xxxxxx ”
(And the information, of course!)
But, a Baby Shower poem added (to the invitation) is a lovely idea! Make it sincere. Make it silly. Whatever applies to the Baby Shower theme. For instance:
“Heather is having a baby
(We know that you know)
Come see her big belly now
And her new mommy glow! “
6.) AT THE BABY SHOWER, WHO READS THE POEMS?
Good question! This is where you can get creative!
If you are the mother of the expectant mother, maybe YOU want to be the one to read a beautiful poem addressed to your daughter as a future mother … or perhaps addressed to your future granddaughter. If you are the host of the shower, maybe YOU want to be the one to read the poem that welcomes the guests … and the other poems scattered throughout the baby shower (later) … and the final “thank you” for attend the poem … (or, perhaps you, as the host, would have a wonderful sentimental “thank you for coming” poem written in advance by the expectant mother, without telling her WHEN the party is, if it comes as a surprise. very moving and meaningful to the guests who attended).
7.) IMPLEMENTING THE POEMS IN THE BABY SHOWER.
This is also a fun creative part! Enjoy really thinking about this part! Some ideas would be as follows (but use this as a ‘starting point’):
- A poem welcoming guests as they arrive. (Perhaps displaced and placed in a small inexpensive bottle?).
- The Host can welcome the guests after they are all there in the poem and also introduce the mother of the future mother in the poem.
- The mother of the future mother can stand up and then read a personal poem written to her daughter, who is now a future mother for the first time … and also address her grandson (also, she can then give them to her daughter, perhaps framed for a wonderful heartfelt keepsake. Baby will love this when they grow up!).
- The Host can start the party games / activities with poems and also end each activity / game with another poem for the categories of winner, loser, best effort, most creative, etc. Make them fun and activity related! The more laughs you get, the more bonding is created and the more everyone enjoys.
- There are more ways that I will cover later (below). But, these are a few to get you going!
8.) THANK YOU POEMS
Well this can actually fall into two categories: thanks for coming and thanks for the gift.
- Thanks for attending Poems. This can be a poem read by the Host (or if it was done in advance by the expectant mother) to the guests.
- Thanks for the gift poem. This is written by the expectant mother after the party (after all, she needs time!). You can write a nice poem that incorporates the gift you received. It may be short but it will relate to the theme of the poem (within a theme!). It will also show the most sincere appreciation of the expectant mother, as it takes time and effort to achieve this.
- Another great thank you poem may be that the expectant mother surprises her mother with a beautiful heartbreaking poem about how grateful she is to her mother for giving birth to her, etc. (Keep tissues close at hand!)
9.) POEMS FOR CAKES
Just to tie it all together, why not put a single pretty verse on the cake?
10.) POEMS FOR ACTIVITIES
I’ve already been through this upstairs. But, just a reminder: it’s a good idea to start each activity / game with a fun poem (to keep the atmosphere friendly and fun!) And maybe even make a special fun one for “winner (or loser!) Levels. “
Also, before you take out the cake … announce it with a poem!
Maybe you have a silly, funny poem that the host can read aloud to the first guest who gets up to use the bathroom. (Make sure you’re not embarrassed! Keep it light and fun.)
It can be suggested that the winners or losers (or both!) Make up a poem on the spot before receiving their award. This should generate a lot of laughs!
11.) POEMS PLEASE
Adding a poem to the party favors could be a good gift to add to the party favors! You can have it in a cardboard square with a little diaper cutout (or something with a baby theme) and tie it to the party favor. You can also tie it up like a small scroll and fasten it with a ribbon or rubber band, etc. The baby shower poem should be related to the party favors in some way. Be creative! Have fun!
12.) POEMS FOR THE DEPARTURE OF GUESTS
I mentioned this earlier, but to recap: the host can read a beautiful poem to the guests before they leave thanking them for coming and telling them how much they appreciate their participation, etc. The expectant mother could have written (weeks or months in advance) this “poem for departing guests” and could stand up and read it. That would be very moving !!
13.) POEMS TO GIVE THE FUTURE MOTHER.
In addition to everything mentioned above, the expectant mother can give our personal thank you poems to each guest (they can be short and easy!) And thank them verbally as she lovingly places them on her palms. No guest would feel that their presence is unnecessary. This would be most moving!
The expectant mother can give her mother a framed poem she wrote for the baby shower occasion … by reading it out loud at first (why not film this ?!).
The expectant mother can include a personal poem that fits the unique gift she received from each guest on her shower thank you cards.
After reading my article, I hope you also agree that these are wonderful secrets on how to implement poems at a baby shower.
The results should be nothing short of fantastic for your Baby Shower!