Different people have different fears in their lives. For some, they fear cockroaches or snakes for their entire lives, while others have more subtle fears, such as the fear of public speaking.
In fact, the fear of public speaking has been ranked, in research, as the number one fear for most people, even ahead of the fear of death!
This is also the case for some of our professionals. While it is your wish to attend our NLP practitioner program to improve your lives or change bad habits, you also hope to learn a NLP technique or two that can help you overcome your fears of public speaking.
Are you too afraid to speak?
Without a doubt, public speaking is a common source of stress for everyone. Many of us would like to avoid this problem entirely, but it is often impossible to do so.
Whether you work alone or with a large number of people, you will eventually need to speak in public to accomplish certain tasks. And if they want to be leaders or achieve something meaningful in our lives, they will often need to speak to groups, large and small.
And if you’re wondering if there are NLP techniques to help you overcome your fear of public speaking, there are, and our professionals find them to work wonders!
You see, NLP is basically the study and practice of how we create our reality. From the perspective of a NLP practitioner, his fear is the result of the programs he has created that do not work very well.
With NLP, these constructs are revealed and “reprogrammed” so that fear is minimized and often eliminated.
In addition, unlike traditional therapies that are used to counteract fear, NLP techniques are fast and effective, since they produce changes at both the conscious and unconscious level.
NLP technique: quick cure of phobia
Known as the “quick phobia cure”, this is one of the most popular NLP techniques for overcoming fear in life. In this case, to help you overcome your fears of public speaking.
The “quick phobia cure” works by allowing a person to dissociate and learn from the frightening experience on a neurological level.
Steps to use the NLP technique: quick cure of phobia
1. Define what fear or phobia you would like to work on. In this case it is your fear of public speaking.
2. Next, walk into an imaginary movie theater in your mind and sit in the center of the front row.
3. Float up and out of your body and gently settle into a comfortable seat on the balcony, so you can see yourself watching the movie. The purpose of this process is to dissociate you and remove you from the terrifying experience as much as possible.
4. Next, play and watch the movie in which “you” experience the fear of public speaking. Make sure the screen of the film is in color. (Fear must be absent here because you are detached from the experience)
5. At the end of the movie, freeze the frame on a slide. Change the image to black and white and then re-associate it completely with the image on the screen (enter the film). Run the associated film in reverse at ultra high speed. Freeze the screen and frame the picture when you get to the beginning of the movie.
6. Exit the still image and return to the center of the front row of the theater. Whiten the entire screen.
7. Repeat steps 3 through 6 a few more times, as needed, until the fear is gone.
8. Test and future rhythm. Imagine when asked to speak in public, how would you fear him?
Of course, this “Fast Phobia Cure” NLP technique works well on other fears, not just limited to overcoming your fear of public speaking.
However, keep in mind that this NLP technique is only a “quick fix”. It works well to temporarily ease the fear of public speaking, but it doesn’t get to the root of the problem.
Therefore, this NLP technique is best used for minor fears. For more serious fears, you will need to use other more powerful NLP techniques to eradicate them completely.