Whether you plan to move abroad or start an extended vacation in one or more foreign countries, you know the importance of packing properly and tying up any loose ends at home before you leave. Your passports are secure, mail is forwarded or put on hold, and any disruption to your children’s education is handled to everyone’s satisfaction. However, if you have a pet, you have two options: you can house it at a local kennel or, if your puppy or cat needs to come, you can arrange special pet transportation.
While pets are allowed to fly domestically on several airlines, that’s not the case for transatlantic, transpacific, or Hawaiian flights. To ensure that your dog or cat arrives safely at its destination, the services of a pet transportation service are required. As you research potential carriers to take your dear family friend on your trip, you will no doubt have questions about care and procedure. To help you make the right decision about the money he’ll spend, these suggested questions to ask services can help.
1) Do you organize transportation from home to the departure airport and from the arrival airport to the final destination? Find out if you are responsible for bringing your pet when you leave.
2) Do they sedate pets for transportation? If you’re concerned about allergic reactions or other risks, make sure you know ahead of time.
3) Are travel kennels provided or do you need to bring your own?
4) Will the company ship the pets once they arrive at their destination city in case it is delayed? If so, will it cost extra?
5) Is the company insured? Is there a pet health specialist on board with the pets in case of an emergency?
6) How are pets shipped? What is the status of the cargo area?
7) Do you have a height and weight limit for pets? If not, does the price increase according to the height and weight of the pet?
8) Do you provide food for the trip, or do you have to have it ready?
Once you have their answers, evaluate your options and the quotes you were given to ship your animals. An extended vacation or move is an exciting time for the whole family, and it’s important that your four-legged friends share the experience safely in the competent hands of a pet transportation service.